Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thing Two: What is Web 2.0 and Why Should I Care?

In the Stephen Abrams video, he discussed finding the time to complete these 23 things. Boy, has that been an issue for me in this activity. I was able to watch the video last week by carving out some time away from the reference desk, but have been reading bits and pieces of the articles at the desk over a four day period. It has to be a common thing among librarians to feel the absence of time to consider the big picture, when we’re always focusing on the details in front of us.

In the introduction to Thing 2, Library 2.0 is described as embracing constant change, rather than traditional periodic upgrades. When I look at the way we view change in my workplace, I worry. I wonder if an atmosphere of constant change will be any less threatening to some. Like desensitizing.

I loved Lev Grossman’s thought that the new Web is “a tool for bringing together the small contributions of millions of people and making them matter.” It is the making it matter that we need to strive for.

No comments: